Quote:
"as Birmingham developed big factories which shifted from bench built to manufactured. A manufactured plain, but sound and functional, boxlock non-ejector could be delivered for 10% - 20%"
of the price of a best gun. Bench built less-than-best guns couldn't economically compete. Lower priced guns greatly broadened the economic possibility for gun ownership while changes in culture opened shooting to a broader range of people."

Rocketman:

I for one would appreciate it if you would set some timeframes here in discussing "manufactured" guns. To the best of my knowledge even today it isn't possible to manufacture a double with out some skilled handwork even if it's just for barrel regulation. If you go back 50 years ago then 100 years ago it seems to me less likely you could truly manufacture a double and come up with anything really presentable.
From my own experience I know for a fact that Colt hand assembled and fitted every revolver they made up into the 70s. This also included hand polishing them before blueing which is a time consuming and skilled process.
One of the reasons you're seeing less and less steel(Blued)new revolvers and autos is the hand finishing required to make them presentable is cost prohibitive.
Anyway my thoughts.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.