As someone who IS actually off the grid and make my power from the sun in the Northeast, there are some facts you might want to know:
1) Solar power comes from light.
2) Many days in winter have more intense light than many summer days and sometimes you actualy get more charge on a winter day.
3) Most of the lies about problems with solar power are from those who want to continue dependence on fossil fuels (oil, etc) you see---the people making money now from the oil paradygm can't figure out how they can make as much on solar so they spread untruths and get the average Joe to spread negatives about solar.
4) I could power a car on MY OWN solar (or wind or hydro) so contrary to above that would NOT increase demand from the grid.
5) The line about "They also worsen the environment from the pollution the fumes give off when they are being charged" is almost so funny I can barely type. The pollution from a petro car is many thousands of time higher than the slight off-gasing from batteries. The difference is like comparing Mount McKinley to a hill in your back yard. Most people have there rechargeable batteries in their homes and it is NOT a source of pollution even approaching what their gas stove gives off.
6) Your right electric power does not come from Jeyybean factory it comes form the SUN, (or wind or hydro). The worst factories on the planet however ARE fossil fuel and nuclear power plants. I know I have spent 26 years around them...

Some Facts: I make my own power. I am not hooked to the grid. I have been this way for 3 years. I have saved thousands and yes we pollute much much less than the average household. As soon as I can afford to do so I will buy electric cars, increase my own power production (from sustainable sources,) and prove all the myths and lies about why sustainable electricity can't be done utterly wrong. Thus far I have been able to prove 75% of them wrong. I am not hooked to the grid and I intend never to be again in my life. And I did it for fractions of what the "experts who want everyone to stay addicted to petroleum want you all to believe". And, obviously, they can get plenty of people who have not actually TRIED or actually made their own power---and have no actual knowledge---spread total falsehoods about making your own electricity sustainably. It astonishes me how many experts there are "out there" who do not know what they are talking about... To all of you who want to make your own electricity I say: Don't listen to all the naysayers. It can be done! And it is easier than anyone is telling you! I have no powerlines on my property but my girlfriend and I have the electricity we need, and my batteries do NOT pollute in a year anywhere near what the average gas lawnmower does in a week.

If the US spent a fraction of the money on Battery / Storage Technology that is spent on searching for OIL we could dramatically increase the electric storage of batteries / storage vessels, and we would all get 300-400 miles on a charge on our vehicles or use sustainable sources like the sun to generate all the electric power we need.

It is a matter fo leadership. We need leaders who will no longer suck on the tit of those who want us all dependent on the old petroleum model. I say it is a horribly antiquated system and we can improve the electrc storage technologies (which is the only drawback now) if we put "real" money and resources into it instead of keeping the old system going... I mean, whale oil lamps were once the standard too. But it took real leadership and money to replace oil lamps with electric lamps. We can do the same. Make Your Own Power. I do and it is great!

Last edited by Yogi 000; 03/25/08 02:06 PM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality