My observation is the condition of the gun is related to the person that owns it. Mine are seldom ever hurt by hard use while I have an ex- friend that needs a new one every couple of years because he destroys them. I have seen him lever brush piles with the barrel of a Browning A5, bend the barrel of a Franci super light 20ga automatic over a rabbits shoulders, lift barb wire fence strands with a Win Model 88 and throw all of them in the bed of a pickup truck full of assorted landscaping tools without a case. Keeps what was a perfect Win Model 1890 .22 under his truck seat w/o case. Worst of all, someone gave him an early Griffin $ Howe Springfield sporter in pristine condition - trashed in two deer seasons. Two wives left him, kids won't talk to him, his Springers have bitten him repeatedly and the local police keep a reserved parking space for him. Just never got past age 15 and he is now 66. Should have been named Earl. (Apologies and condolences to responsible individuals named Earl.)