William2, you do have a very nice gun. It's obviously a Merkel action, and a very useble thing for a hunter. In fact, a European hunter, provided lead shot is legal in that country, can be quite happy hunting with just this combo and not feel a need to own anything else.

Now here are a couple of possible suggestions to your problem.

First thing - is reloading rifle cartridges legal in Holland? If your objective is just to make some holes in the paper, and you're not especially concerned with accuracy or power - then you can load some very cheap stuff. Like, a halfload of black powder - I'm persnally in favor of BP for such things, because it generates very low pressures and velocity, you realy can't damage a nitro rifle with BP - so, for example, a patched lead ball (you can mold it yourself a home) over a halfload of BP will give you a very cheap and very safe cartridge to shoot. There are members of this board who are very knowledgable about loading for old guns, and I'm sure the can help you with advice.

Next thing - I understand that to have a hunting weapon, you need proof that you have the hinting rights. My question is - do you need to have hunting rights in Holland? Will another country do? Because I know that some German hunters, almost never hunt in Germany. They prefer cheaper hunting in Eastern Europe. So, why can't you try and get a paper from, say, a Polish outfitter? If you have a good friedly talk with one of those, I'm sure something can be arranged. Like, why can't you book a roe-deer hunting trip, use it as proof of hunting righs, and then you'd catch a cold or have an emergency at work and be forced to give up the trip this year but reschedule it for the next year instead?

After all, I don't know how you feel about hunting in general, but a bit of modest hunting in EE is not that expensive - and there's huge satisfaction in seeing the old gun do what it was made to do.

Finally, you might look a little harder for hunting "clubs" or "societies" in Holland. I don't know for sure, but my intuition suggests, that the legislation as you described ought to bring to life some "clubs" or something like that, that'll give you hunting rights over some plot of land, for a fee, probably with understanding that you wil not actually use that right.

Good luck!

Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 02/27/08 08:58 AM.