Hal, There are as many names for differing varieties of scroll as there are engravers and engraving collectors, but I will do what little I can to share some of the knowledge I have gleaned from others through thirty odd years of studying ornament and its history to put names that I would use on the styles in the following photos..

Acanthus on a Manton in crossed chisles hands circa 1819:

Acanthus by Harry Kell:

Acanthus with multi color gold inlay by Ken Hunt circa 1954, RH lockplate:
Acanthus with multi color gold inlay by Lynton S.M. MacKenzie circa 1970,LH lockplate:
Ken's work on the upper lockplate exhibits a celtic influence in the perforated ribbon incorporated in the scroll stem.

A negative of a smoke pull of Acanthus by Barry Lee Hands 2001:

Arabesque Damascene, made in Damascus, from the Madrassa of the Ali Hussien Mosque in Cairo, circa 1350:

Arabesque by Barry Lee Hands, contemporary:

Roman vine ornament from the early Christian era, probably chiseled by immigrant Greek craftsman. It bears a strong resemblance to modern Germanic and Arabesque ornament.

American vine scroll, Gustave Young school:

Germanic small scroll by Griebel, mid 1900’s:

Detail of Germanic scroll by Joseph Fugger, early 1960’s:

English scroll on a Kavanagh, some may call this large scroll in the context of English style.

Boss rose and scroll, or bouquet and scroll with running scroll border by Barry Lee Hands for a David Trevallion restoration:

I would call this an open vine scroll, it is an Acanthus variation. I would like to hear Smallbore’s opinion of the proper term and date for this style:

And this is more of the same, on a Westley Richards?

Acanthus with clamshell terminus and Celtic rope border:

Well worn Birmingham English scroll with open scroll elements, running scroll lockplate border and open vine with rose bud action border:

The same piece restored:

Work by Francesca Fracassi. The style is Fracassi, as developed by Firmo Fracassi. The tool used to execute it is a Bulino tool.

Detail:

Bulino work tiger by creative arts with chiseled and relieved laurel, or olive derived leafwork:

Modern Japanese Damascene work:

Etched and punched sculpted work by Barry lee Hands 2006:

Multicolor Inlay by Barry Lee Hands 2008:

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 01/07/08 03:23 AM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com