Daryl: If you would check out p.102 of the Winter 1999 DGJ there's a killer shot of my AAH Pigeon Gun with the roses/flowers being incorporated within the scroll, not just one, but many. This was the basic AAH engraving pattern of the late 1890s.

The Bouquet and Scroll is a variation where the flowers are bunched and usually, but not always, surrounded by an unengraved border to set them apart. This creating a pattern through open space is a well-known engraver's device, I believe endemic to Purdeys.

Another variation of Rose & Scroll is the deep chisled "Gothic" coverage on the Czar's gun, where the flowers are incorporated within the scroll, but the deep backgrounding creates a distinct effect. As to whether a flower actually has to look exactly like a rose to be rose...well, this fine point needs to be considered in the context of the "flying turnips" that are said to represent ducks on some mid-grade (GH-DH-CH) Parkers.

As to posting pictures via a third party server, while I'd like to someday soon, my problem is that my "art shots" (a la Bill Hedrick) are on slides, and my detail shots come from the auction houses on CD's at 6,000 to 9,000 kb, which my ca.1998 wood-burning computer can't handle. I actually have to go to a computer service to see what's on the picture discs so as to code them to my M/S's for typesetting at my publisher. And there is a copyright issue where the permission for credited use in a book or magazine article is not a license to give the image to online picture storage. I suggest you read the fine print when you click the box to agree to the picture storage's one-sided terms.

I really should get a decent digital camera for some casual picture taking, and a new computer, but with a 122,000 word M/S and more than 10,000 words of picture captions in the C-drive, I am afraid to mess with it till my publisher gets me a galley proof and I know the ball is fully in their court. Then I should be able to more fully participate. EDM

EDM