In "Principles: The Manufacture Iron & Steel" by I. Lowthain Bell, 1884, he states "In the work of Agricola, bearing the date of 1556, there is no allusion to the Blast-furnace; the only arrangement described for obtaining iron being a kind of Catalan hearth, in which the product, as we have already seen, is malleable and not cast iron. About 1618, as we learn from Dud Dudley's Metallum Martis, this unfortunate pioneer in the manufacture of iron was engaged in his attempts to substitute pit coal for charcoal;..."

And regarding Catalan furnaces: "No serious attempt has been made to revive in this country the obsolete and almost forgotten Catalan furnace-much less its more humble predecessor, the low hearth of Asia and of Africa."

"I have had no opportunity of inspecting such a furnace as that previously referred to, and described to me by Colonel Grant;"(Dr. Percy is also mentioned as a source) ... "Some Catalan furnaces, which I had an opportunity of examining in North Carolina, were near 3 feet from back to front...."

So what was North Carolina producing, rail?

And also, I found patent No. 9,999 - Thomas Warner, of Chicopee, Mass - Improvement in Twisted Gun Barrels-Patented September, 6th, 1853. Did he make barrels himself was was he employed by another?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse