Not my shot but one of the most impressive I have witnessed. I was guiding a rodeo bronc rider for elk in the Alberta Rockies - late November 1992 if I recall correctly. Anyway I had been told that this young buck was a fine shot and tough as nails so we went looking for a big bull elk. We had ridden from spike camp about an hour before daybreak and were in some pretty likely high meadow country when we spotted a herd on a steep slope which stretched toward the sky above. The closest animals were a good 250 yards away. There was a 7 X 7 bull and before we could even dismount and before I could get make a good head appraisal the herd broke for a timbered gultch - they were plenty spooky but don't really think it was us that set them arunnin. The bronc rider quit leather in a blurry second dragging his gun from scabbord, ran 20 feet to the left, away from the trail, swung and fired at the bull which was on a full run. Even though the elk were a long ways off the horiznotal distance wasn't more than 150 yards. Well all h broke loose at the shot that bull came ass over rack just a tumbling down that slope - I counted 11 complete somersaults with that rack acting like a pivot point on every one. An avalanche of snow chased from behind and when that bull hit the bench above the trail he was airborne for 25 feet. He toboganned down the shallow slope below the trail towards a steep gully. Luckily just before he slipped over the edge his rack got caught is some heavy edge brush and that brought him to a halt. The bullet had caught him right below the right ear and of course brought instant death. After climbing that slope to recover pieces of antler broken during the tumble we broke for a smoke. I asked the bronc buster if he had head shot the elk on purpose - not good for trophy and too risky for most - he said actually yes - he practiced quite a bit on running coyotes and treated that elk's head just like he would a coyote.