I need to add another one to the list! As mentioned earlier, my dad was very good with a shotgun, but it was with a rifle where he could perform magic! I guess raising cattle on a ranch in the middle of no-where, spending all your free time shooting will get you to that point!

Anyway, they sold the ranch, and bought a couple hundred acres from my mom's folks closer to town. One morning my Grandma called and said there were some dogs in her field and they had just taken down a deer. My dad told my older brother to grab a shotgun, while he grabbed his rifle (1947 vintage Win70 in 270), and headed for the door. When we reached the field, the dogs spooked and headed across the field for the timber at a dead run. He shot the lead dog offhand at probably about 100-125 yds, dumped the second one a little further out, offhand again, and the third one escaped into the timber. I've seen him do this with deer also, although not his preferred shot.

I may catch He** from some of you for shooting dogs, but in rural Idaho in the 60's, dogs chasing deer were fair game and probably still are in most peoples mind.

Cameron Hughes