Underlever opener, with a flat leverpiece under that, which swivels sideways to release bbls for removal.

Backaction hammer, straight-front scrolled triggerguard, with extensive horn insert to form Semi-pg. Moderate panels of fine scroll engraving with a neat little archaic-looking roe deer buck on the bottom of the TG, in silver. Simple blade rear and small bead front sight. Matted solid rib. Very typical looking gun of the genre, as to overall layout.

Proofs: Rifle -- crown over U, crown over G, 'sunburst' around U, * over C, 118/35. Shotgun -- * over S, circle 16, crown over U, crown over S -- serial appears to be 0865 stamped on underrib ahead of flats. I don't think there is a nitro proof in that lot, but I'll ask anyway. ;~`)

Sixteen bore with short chamber. Rifle is rimmed, tapered case, again typical German midbore BP[?. Rifle caliber by dimensions --Approximate. Case rim: 12.5MM. Base diameter ahead of rim: 11MM. Length: 60MM + or - a MM. Bore at muzzle: 9MM.

Bore conditions: 16 is mildly rough with some darkish patches, but prolly shootable with low pressure loads. Rifle bore is strong and should polish out nicely.

Overall condition is grey metal, and worn wood. Locks and mechanics of lockup are Ok, and ejector cam needs new posistioning washers, but is there. The stock head needs TLC that I can provide, but is unshootable as it is, at least safely.

The situation is that client is juggling the estimated cost of me doing said work against potential resale. I EXPLAINED THAT HE IS JUST ABOUT GOING BREAK EVEN AT BEST. The cost of wood and metal repair and mild refinishing is easily estimated at 300 to 400 BEFORE disassembly. What else is found, is going to be added on. It's the will of Allah, when the final cost of resurrection is the question. Let's say 500.00 to give it a fair shot.

OK. He has 200 in it, or so he claims. Prolly less: I known him well. ;~`) Add 400 to 500 and there sits a 600 to 700 dollar oredinary zwielling, in a handloading proposition caliber, with a cute worn roebuck on the action bottom. The wood will be and look sound and wellcared for. The metal will have a nice old faded blue and brown effect. It will shoot. I have a hard time forcasting the restored gun re-selling at any sort of profit for the owner, or even at the cost of what he will have in it. I won't tell him that it will, if it won't -- hence this little excursion among the here-gathered.

I'd sure enjoy bringing the gun back, just because of the kind of general restoration stuff I like to do -- and get paid to do. But I can't do it at a loss and I don't want to 'fluff' the owner's expectations about it's restored market value. Nothing earthshakingly important here, but it's nice to know where a person can ask such questions and reecieve weighed opinions worth reading.

This isn't as good as pics, but if anyone wishes to hazard ID, age, etc the effort is appreciated.

Last edited by JohnM; 12/20/07 09:47 PM.

Relax; we're all experts here.