My wife just allowed (she actually encouraged!) me to buy a double rifle, and so now I am the proud owner of a Merkel 140-1, in 9.3x74R. It was made in 2001, and is in pristine condition, but I didn't get any of the factory paperwork (like the signed target or regulating load data).

I'm trying to locate info about what loads they used to regulate the barrels, so I can load my own. I contacted the factory (and GSI) several weeks ago, but nobody has come up with an answer as of yet. So far, factory loads (Norma, 286gr) are not very impressive for accuracy, but the gun is fun to shoot and make noise with anyway (and always turns heads at the range).

Any help with identifying the original factory loads used for the initial regulation would be appreciated... as would any reloading data that matches those ballistics.

I've tried a few reduced handloads (250gr), but they seem to be even worse than factory ammo as far as accuracy and consistency go (they are easier on shoulder, though). A 15" spread between barrels (at 100 yds) seems excessive (even though some of that spread is undoubtedly "shooter wobble")

I saw in an article somewhere that one person was shooting DWM 247 gr in his Merkel, and thought I'd try them (if I can find some anywhere).

Any knowledge of specific loads used by Merkel, and/or other suggestions appreciated...

regards,

Jim Owen
Juneau, Alaska (Direct email: jimowen@swbell.net)