pwm,
patched balls, I have used. They are accurate but require very small charges - like 45 grs of 1.5 fg. Anything more than that and they fly wild. Really wild. The light loads do not regulate to the sights - three-leaf express sights marked 100, 150, 200.

I am certain that the rifle can shoot flat based conicals. Pedersoli doubles are made to do this in .54 and .58 caliber and probably others. These two caliber are made with faster twist barrels for conicals while their .72 cal double is made slow twist for roundball only.

I may find that I need a felt or card wad under the bullet. No problem there. I think a circle fly wad would be a bit overkill but it might work too.

I think a patched conical is really not the way to go with the potential exception of a Paper Patched Bullet . Those happen to be the bullets nearest and dearest to my heart, but they are not appropriate for this rifle, of that I'm certain. Ol' Joseph Lang could tell me what I do need, but darned if he ain't been dead for 150 yrs or so and he forgot to write the loading formula under the lock plate like he was supposed to.

My current thinking is the .630" Westly Richards bullet from NEI made w/o the hollow point

I would probably have to have a bump die made to size this bullet up to .635" or .636" or so. That's what I'm trying to figure out right now.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]