MP,
Thanks for writing. Although I've owned a number of American-made bolt action rifles, I've no experience with European guns and, so, was glad to see someone respond.
Gun is not in house right now. I have it on hold at a retail shop and will be going there tomorrow or next day to put a deposit on it, so your questions come at a good time since I can now look for the answers when I get there. It is marked "30-06" on the bbl. Neglected to note the proof date but will make it a point to get it then. Is there any particular place on the rifle where it's apt to be found? Also, am not sure whether it's a commercial action or a military one. Again, how would I tell?
It probably bears mentioning that the safety is of the Greener type--i.e., a knurled slide button located on the left face of the stock just below the receiver and within thumbs reach for a right-handed shooter. That and other indications of the obvious attention to detail on some of the finer points make me think that gun came out of an established maker's shop. Also, as I mentioned above, one of the salesmen at the shop--someone whom I know to be pretty knowledgeable in fine guns--recognized the name, Kohle, and said it was good maker.
When I go, I'll check out these points and any others you can suggest. Also, I'll try to bring my camera for some close-ups, if possible.

Thanks again,

Adley