the way i read that article (ross seyfried, summer 2004 DGJ), that rifle is actually one selous owned and seyfried took it back where it belongs on safari. there is also an article in a recent "sporting gun" issue on a writers rifles (this is in england) and one of his is also a Gibbs in identical configuration and caliber. if i understood right what is implied, gibbs only produced "approximately 35" rifles w/ the sideplates tho no doubt other makers did as well. somewhere i've an article by elmer keith w/ a pic of some of his singles and my recollection is one or more of them had the sideplates. the topic of those sideplates came up in another article i've come across and whichever brit maker was discussing them said today the "....cost would be prohibitive.." meaning to do them up and fit them right of course. in a close-up photo of selous' rifle, the screw heads, all 49 per side (near as i can tell, could be 50) have their slots aligned w/ the local tangency of the stock plates outer edges. try to find somebody today who'd tackle that chore.