PeteM,
You research hound dog! I wish I had your enthusiasm. I keep getting bogged down with anomalies that I can't explain. This thread is the perfect example.

Did you notice the the patent dates listed by Sven and Daryl don't match the patent record...like July 9 1907, and July 19, 1907...in the double threads 7/9/07 is a single trigger mechanism issued to C F Sawtell of Manchester N H (859,845)...and I don't have any double shotgun patents issued on 7/19/07 ...

I suspect that the USPTO has lost some patents over the century or the engraver just didn't care what date he cut, because it's doubtful that these guys both need new glasses...

My guess is that the patent is still dormant (not listed in any classification) waiting to be called up...I'll explain...years back I would check my files against the USPTO online classification threads only to find that numbers that I had gleaned from patent gazettes at the library, weren't anywhere to be found in the classification threads...so in order to obtain a large printable version of these flyers, I would simply do a number search on the Full-Text and Image Database...most times I would get the patent, including the classification page, then within about 3 days later, the number would appear in one or more classification threads...

I assume this is the case with the July 9 and/or July 19 patents

Unless you have a different take on it? Is there something obvious that I'm not seeing?