I recently acquired a double gun that is clearly marked on one barrel to be a 16 guage smooth bore modified barrel. The markings are 16 alone and 16 in a circle, crown over S, crown over W, two German raven marks and crown over U. No other markings.The other barrel is marked 62,78 and crown over G, crown over U and the same 2 raven stamps. Please excuse me if these are not ravens, but they are the common bird stamps I have seen on many mausers. I have made a chamber cast and from reading other threads I believe it to be 10.75x70R Collath. Bore measures approximately 42 caliber. Just beyond the evident indentation in the chamber at 70mm depth and before the rifling the cast measures at decimal 0.444 diameter, I have not slugged the barrel as of yet as I have not found my pure lead 44 caliber balls. I find no markings to identify it as being proof tested in Nitro, so I believe it to be Black Powder only.

Not being at all familiar with this type of fire arm I would appreciate any help in identifying it to possible maker and age. The lever that breaks the barrels open is mounted under and occupies the majority of the fore stock when closed. It appears to be made from some type of molded material, not wood. The metal has much engraving and the stock is well checkered. The butt stock has a chamber on the under side for 2 each shot shells and rifle shells. There is a badly aged paper attached to the lid that has 62,78 G and 16 G written on it. It has side hammers and two triggers, the rifle trigger being a single set trigger. If needed I can take some pictures and attempt to upload them to this post. I would like to be able to fire this gun, but really think it will be a conversation starter and maybe the first of a future collection. It has the name Hemmerling and Magdeburg stamped between the barrels, but think this was probably the original owner and city where that person resided. Thank you in advance for any guidance in obtaining brass or dies and possible charges that could be used to reload cartridges for this gun.