bushveld, I looked at the first page of your thread on the other forum and noted the use of a D-bit in your pictures. That made me smile a little. I've been learning to make my own single lip cutters for special applications to reduce the number of setups for some jobs. Special dovetails for tool holders, angled faces that can be programmed flat in a cnc mill instead of tilted in a sine vise, etc, Stuff like that. I make such tools out of broken carbide, because, well I have a lot of broken carbide. LOL. I do have a vertical mill or two or three or ... well 5 currently in regular service. Another one for only those emergency repairs on a day when I have a broken air compressor, and one more that had a catastrophic ball screw failure I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. Even a small one still in the crate I bought just to do a video series I haven't started yet. I think that makes nine including the retired one on a shelf. They range from toy to light industrial in size (2 tons). No really big machines. I might have a lathe or two as well. I make a living using them. Someday I might get good at it. I just read a few of your posts in that thread and I can see where there will be a great deal of good information in it. Thank you.

Der Ami, Thank you. When you say soft solder I have to assume you atleast mean plumbers solder. I can't imagine using 60/40 unless it was just to gently hold pieces that are mechanically wedged in place... and yes I can see how the barrels might be mechanically wedged into a mono block. Or atleast what I picture in my head as a mono block.

I'm certainly not certain of exactly how I will tackle it just yet. I might even have a fantasy of just lucking into the parts... like fantasizing about winning the lottery.

--
Bob La Londe - CNC Molds N Stuff
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a real machinist!