Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Good job, Joe. My first time shooting at a gobbler with a roundball rifle was very humbling, and embarrassing. After winning several state championships (NMLRA) with my .36 cal. Poor Boy style longrifle I figured there was no way I could miss a gobbler inside 50 yards with it. I was told to shoot for the pinbone on the off side. So, when the big gobbler appeared at about 40 yards I waited until he stopped. He "blew up" and I touched it off. He immediately flew off. I was flabbergasted and sat there a few moments trying to figure how I had missed. I walked to where he had been standing and found a couple breast feathers my ball had cut off. I picked them up and saved them. They're in my shop above my workbench as a reminder to never shoot at a gobbler with a ball while he is in strut. He ain't nearly as big as he looks like he is when he's "blown up", and his pinbones aren't where you think they are, inside all those fluffed up feathers.

I have a couple of Bill Large rifles. One is .45 that I would love to hunt turkeys with. Just not legal here.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]