Originally Posted by liverwort
I have only been hunting gobblers for three( tried 30+ years ago without success) years but have been able to get three so I tell myself I'm doing well. The first was gobbling his head off and I got him at 18 steps. the second I'll admit I began to worry when he started to veer away from my decoy and I killed him at a lazor ranged 40 yards. The third I shot at 31 yards and he was silent but strutting beautifully. I have been using my 11-87 with Remington 1&1/4 ounce 7&1/2s. I have a turkey choke I bought for the second season thinking I won't get as lucky as the first year. I have an old, no longer-made Smith slate box call but I have made wing bone calls from my birds and killed last year's gobbler using one of those. The experience has been totally enjoyable. It is a great time of year to chase around after a great bird.

It is really great to kill one you call in on your own call. I build lots of box calls, and killed most of my birds with them and given away many of those calls to others that have killed birds with them. I'd like to make a wing bone call, but so far, I haven't gotten there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]