GUN IS SOLD - THANKS!

Offered here is a very nice example of an early Baker Gun Company 12-gauge “Sterling” single barrel trap gun. This gun was an estate “closet find” and was in original, lightly used condition when “discovered” – right down to the original, age-hardened Jostam “Anti-Flinch” recoil pad. According to what I’ve read, the gun’s serial number (48772) puts its manufacture right around 1918 or 1919. Numbers match on the barrel, receiver, forearm wood and forearm metal.

The gun is equipped with a 32” barrel and a fully functioning ejector. Sights include a white bead (ivory?) at the muzzle, and a smaller mid-rib bead. The ventilated rib is a “floating” one – with recesses machined into the bottom of the rib which mate up with the posts and allow the rib to expand and contract without restriction.

Lock-up is tight, with the top lever left of center.

There is no choke marked on the gun, but the muzzle measures about a .0235 constriction, or “Improved Modified.”

The tasteful, quality engraving incudes “Baker Gun Co” on both receiver sides, as well as a scene with a pointer on the left side and pheasants on the right. There is additional engraving on different parts of the gun.
The original blue is 95% plus, with a small patch missing from the trigger guard and some staining where the metal was not originally blued. Screws not buggered.

The bore is clean and shiny, with a couple of small stubborn smears about halfway down that you really need to look for in order to see.

The walnut stock (capped pistol grip) and forearm are nicely checkered and the wood is in near excellent condition, with some surface finish “foxing” on the left “cheek,” along with some surface (varnish?) roughness in the finish on both sides of the nicely-grained buttstock. Also the usual minor usage dings.

The original, unusable buttpad was professionally removed and replaced with a new, reproduction Jostam Company Hy-Gun recoil pad. (I will include the original buttpad with the gun.) The current pull dimension with the new pad is right around 14½” to 14-5/8”. Approximate 1½” DAC and 2” DAH.

I have taken a bunch of photos which should show the condition better than my verbal descriptions.

I’m no expert, but I think it would be very difficult to find another example of this gun in better condition than this example – but you can judge yourself from the description and photos.
I will need at least a C&R FFL to ship to.

$1,600, plus $100 for USPS Priority shipping and full insurance to a Lower 48 address. As you know, firearm shipping has gotten more complicated and expensive. If the actual shipping and insurance costs to a Lower 48 address exceed $100, I will cover the overage; if less, I will refund the difference. Shipping/insurance to AK and HI will certainly cost more. Standard three-day, non-shooting inspection period, but I will not accept a return unless we both agree that the gun was not properly described. Will only sell to a US buyer. Unless we’re known to each other, I will only accept payment via USPS Money Order.
I will break the gun down for shipping.

I have 100% positive feedback on GunBroker (“Tom in Pittsburgh”) and on eBay (“we-no-nah”). I have also sold here before.

For those of you wishing more information about these early Baker SBT guns, there is an excellent illustrated article in the Autumn 2008 issue of The Double Gun Journal. If you are unable to find this article, PM me and I'll get you a scan of it. There is also good info here on the DoubleGun forum – here’s a link to some of it:

Double Gun Baker Piece

I will be happy to answer PMs with questions about the gun or requests for additional photos, but the first “I’ll take it” will get the gun.

There is nothing wrong with this gun. I shoot a number of vintage trap and skeet guns, but I turned 75 last year and it’s time to begin thinning the herd – otherwise I might be hanging onto this gun. It’s in the nicest shape of any of mine.

I've had a few self-inflicted issues posting photos here. If you are unable to see or access the photos in this post, here's a link to all of them that I hope will work:

Photo Gallery

Thanks for looking!

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]