Raimey-you may be correct, and both Greeners confuse me by mixing the names of the different barrel material. In The Gun, or a Treatise on the Various Descriptions of Small Fire-Arms 1st Edition 1835 W. Greener discusses the manufacture of
Stub-Twist Iron on p. 24
(Steel and iron)...after being properly mixed together, they are put into an air furnace and heated to a state of fusion, in which state they are stirred up by a bar of the same mixture of iron and steel, until by their adhesion they form a ball of apparently melting metal. During this process the bar has become sufficiently heated to attach itself to the burning mass, technically called a bloom of iron...By this mode of manufacturing, the iron and steel are so intimately united and blended...
He also described the bloom in reference to Mr Wiswould’s Iron Barrels and Silver Steel.
In The Science of Gunnery, as Applied to the Use and Construction of Fire-Arms, 1841, He discusses the "bloom" again on p. 98 & 109.
On p. 154 of Gunnery in 1858: Being a Treatise on Rifles, Cannon, and Sporting Arms, he discusses Silver Steel and common Twist Steel (though at other places uses the term 'Silver Damascus'), states "I make my own laminated steel" (is it Silver steel?) then discusses the bloom mentioning ONLY steel and no iron?!
On p. 167, he seems to be promoting some (his?) superior barrel material. "The mixture of a portion of steel with the stubs having clearly shown an improvement...we have had as high as 3/4 of steel to 1 of iron. Where proper attention is paid to the clipping of the steel to pieces, corresponding with the stubs, and properly mixing the whole, welding and forging by the heavy hammer, reducing by a tilt and rolling down to the smallest description of rod, a most excellent, tenacious, and dense body of iron is thus obtained."
I remain confused

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/23/07 12:39 AM.