revdocdrew:

I don't know if I totally agree with the difference. I don't think that the iron & steel is mixed before being fused and experiencing the 3 ton forge hammer for the Laminated. It is the steel only, from mild steel parts, that is fused. I believe the alternating rods or steel and iron are later. The steel is made from the bloom.

The main difference in Laminated & Damascus is the quality of steel, as you stated & the number of flat bars from the twisted rope lathe. Before the Laminated barrel can be made "The gun-iron makers not get a long strip of mild steel the thickness required, and then a bar of superior iron the same size;.." Also, Laminated is made from 2 rods "with the inclinations of the twist running in opposite directions." And Damascus is composed of 3 rods.

It seems that the definition of Laminated & Damacus change as time marches on; therefore, the definition of Laminated & Damascus will be time varying. I believe that iron starts out as a major percentage and steel lands up being higher later on. Also the rods or iron & steel are different sizes & shapes. In Greener's 9th edition, he mentions old and new laminated.

All above from Greener's books.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/22/07 10:42 PM.