Thanks for the replies. So far, it confirms what I had thought. I myself have two H Grade straight grip guns that have the long tang, and a straight grip G that has the short tang. One of the H grades has very high drop at heel and comb dimensions, which is far different than what we often see on many vintage doubles. As I recall, the DAH is only about 1 1/2" which is way too high for me.

I have learned to expect the unexpected with these guns. The very first DS grade I bought had dolls head twist barrels, capped pistol grip stock, the LAC monogram buttplate, and cocking indicators. I was a bit disappointed at first because I bought it when I was still under the belief that Damascus and Twist barrels were unsafe to shoot. Robert Elliot, the author of the Lefever books, told me I should be happy to have it because it was a much more scarce variation than the typical DS grade. Another unusual one I have is a 12 gauge G grade that has arrowhead shaped drop points on the stock behind the sideplates. I thought it was probably restocked, but the correct serial number is stamped into the wood under the trigger guard tang. I've seen a couple others with the same style drop points, but they were higher grade guns. I suppose it could have been a lunch box special or a gun built for an employee. It seems like whenever I see one with unusual features, the nontypical feature is something normally seen on higher grade guns, such as Damascus barrels on an H or Krupp fluid steel barrels on an F grade. I think that when they made substitutions to complete an order, they would give the customer more for his money, but never less.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.