Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Could that lead be a way of changing the gun's balance ?

If changing the balance was the intent of this, then the so called "gunsmith" responsible couldn't have been very smart. It doesn't appear that there is even a full ounce of solder there, and it was placed a a point between the hands. It is so close to the hinge pin, that the effect upon balance would be negligible. Probably no more than the difference between having a fired shell in one chamber versus a loaded round.

I still think it was a crude repair to the short section of under rib. And the questions in my mind are whether the rib section is still there, or if it was missing, and the void was filled with solder, packed with steel wool , or what??? Another concern is if the job was done in such a crude manner, was corrosive flux used, and not properly flushed out? When I see bubble gum and baling wire type repairs, I tend to question every aspect of the job in question.

That odd circular peening pattern makes me wonder if Bubba used a cup point set screw as a punch....
and D F could stand for Dumb F**k.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.