Originally Posted By: GregSY
[Text Deleted]
Here's the problem with Bell's research. He's using a sample group that is considered statistically insignificant. That's the death knell for any scientific 'fact'. Also, I haven't read his articles in a long time but I don't recall any of his means of measurement as being calibrated.
[Text Deleted]

Ahrgh! Here we go again. How big of a sample size would you want? You've essentially eliminated any scientific argument because you will simply select a "sample size" larger than all the Damascus guns ever produced (or that owners are willing to part with, or that Mr. Bell and others are willing to spend to validate YOUR point)! Yes, you have to take the data with a grain of salt and not treat it as an absolute fact, but that MORE than you can say about what everyone one else says, which is NOTHING, except don't do it. Also, if you had read SOME of his material instead of SKIMMING through it, he clearly states when he uses Tom Armbust's pressure gun to calibrate against and when he doesn't. RTFM please!

The whole Damascus debate is useless to those who close their mind to the materials being used (iron and steel) as being inherently hazardous. Do you know another composite material that is commonly used, abused, taken for granted, and can fail catastrophically killing their owners, yet everyone buys them?!?!? Steel Belted Tires! (A rubber and steel composite, mind you). If you say, "But there's only 35 psi of stress in each tire", please hit yourself over the head with a set of Damascus barrels incessantly until I feel better.....

Mike Doerner - Mechanical Engineer (though I 'spose that's not good enough for this debate, since you'd probably want a Materials Engineer. Grrrr!)