Originally Posted by coosa
Originally Posted by Tinker
Something the fellow can buy on eBay is material

If he wants 4140 material, it's almost certain that it can be bought on eBay or some other online vendor

I understood Jose as saying that ordering anything from outside of Mexico would be illegal, so I don't think eBay is an option. Jose, is that correct? What about ordering something within Mexico? Is that a possibility?

I sure would like to help you, as would many others here. You have a nice shotgun, along with a lathe, and the ability to fix the gun if you can just find the right tubing. It seems to me that with the wealth of knowledge we have on this forum, we oughta be able to figure out a way to get a piece of tubing to you.

Yep, I find it hard to believe that a Mexican citizen is prohibited from importing a piece of 4140 or other appropriate alloy steel tubing. I think Jose was trying to say that it would be illegal for him to import gun parts such as sub-gauge chamber inserts. If I'm wrong, then it is pretty sad that any government would stop a law abiding citizen from importing steel tubing, when they essentially turn a blind eye, and permit tons of cocaine, heroin, fentanyl, and other narcotics to flow across our now unsecured Southern Border. Shame on our corrupt Democrat leaders for permitting it too.

I would also imagine that 4140 or another appropriate barrel tubing alloy would be available somewhere in Mexico. That or a pair of good used 16 or 20 gauge shotgun barrels to cut and machine to fit.

That is a nice looking shotgun. I would be hesitant to give up on it or relegate it to wall-hanger status just yet. One thing I have learned is that simply looking down a bore is not a good way to judge the severity of pitting. They typically look a lot deeper than they actually are. I myself have found a pretty good way to get a reasonably good measurement of the depth of barrel pitting. I also have an endoscope (bore scope). Cheap endoscopes and endoscope attachments for cell phones are available on Ebay and elsewhere.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.