"GregSY, I don't think you are referring to the same Sherman Bell testing that the rest of us are. We are referring to the testing he did on the pressure readings of various lengths of shells in identified chambers. You are apparently referring to his articles on blowing up guns. That is not what is being discussed here. "

I stand corrected - I was referring to his articles on blowing up guns. I still would be interested in know how well calibrated and accurate his test equipment is, but I acknowledge it's far more likely to be valid in that setting. I'll bet the equipment used by the likes of Winchester cost in the multi-thousands range, and for a good reason(s).

Is Sherman's equipment adequately responsive to measure true peak pressures? A lot of the difference between expensive test equipment and cheaper stuff is the ability to consider rise time. In other words, the pressure may peak at a much higher level than he is reading, and drop off, before his device knows it happened. That could explain the difference between his readings and those made by the big guys.