I very much appreciate the knowledge and wisdom you all are sharing on this thread. It’s a steep but extremely interesting learning curve for me. The makers’ complicated historical background and Fred Adolph’s checkered career path seem to contribute to rather than detract from the intrigue of this particular gun.

Raimey, Daryl, Mike (and Michael Petrov), thank you. Your knowledge of the background and commentary on questions regarding the origins of the components and craftsmanship effect its perception as an American gun and begin to define it perhaps more accurately as a German gun. Your input helps to clarify the significance of Fred Adolph’s guns in general.

Stephen Howell, you hit the nail on the head. I need to determine the significance of this particular piece. Thank you for directly addressing my original mission of sorting out the identity, significance, quality and value of this unique gun. I too was intrigued/perplexed by the “desert fox” motif. (the palm trees made me think it was intended for someone in South Carolina.) And I’m still very curious about the gold “WBS” monogram on the trigger guard. (does anyone know if there exists a file on clients he sold to?)

I have more detail photos but I’ll need to find a qualified person to assess the balance, weight, bore condition, chamber details and trigger functionality as you mentioned. Unfortunately I am in Oregon now and the gun is in Virginia.

Raimey if you are able to get me an email address for Wolfgang von Braushitsch in Germany I would very much appreciate it and will contact him as well. I’ve talked to an auction house and an appraiser in the US but it definitely seems worth investigating the international market if that’s where it’s German roots would be most appreciated and valued.

As I’m helping my brother-in-law and family settle their father’s estate my responsibility is to find an appropriate venue for selling this gun at the best price they can get. But personally I feel motivated to investigate it thoroughly to determine if it has unrecognized significance after having been safely tucked away in a closet for 50 to 100 years. I also feel obliged to respect it and see that it finds a proper new home where it will be fully appreciated.

Again, thanks. You guys are very cool. Tim