Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Now dont blast me, but will someone please tell me why it is sooooo important to someone to own a gun that only safely shoots 2.5 inch shells when there is a myriad of choices of others that will shoot 2.75, or even, God forbid, 3 inch shells. Are the 2.5 inch shooters THAT much more appealing than guns with longer chambers? Obviously I dont own any of these 2.5 inch shooters so I would simply appreciate it if someone will calmly tell me what the allure is about them?? Thanks, and NO, I am not trying to start any arguments or criticize anyones personal choices. I simply want to know. Again, thanks.

Good question, no offense taken.

The answer is not as technical as it is aesthetic. I derive significant pleasure from hunting a 120 yr old gun which was the top of the line in its day and still performs beautifully in terms of function and balance (MOI). As JTplumb notes I am able to shoot an older project gun properly restored for a fraction of what I would have to pay for a modern (last 25 year) original 2 3/4 proofed Boss SLE. I do not even know the current price of a new bespoke Boss or Purdey as I could sell my entire collection and would still be unwilling to pay that much. Even a bespoke Fox from CSMC, though very nice, lacks just a little bit.

It further amuses me to shoot a gun from a time my Grandfathers could not have afforded to buy, it is confirmation their sacrifices resulted in something as they were both bird hunters. I believe they would approve.

I own several vintage guns made with 70mm chambers in the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, but they lack for me what my late 1800’s early 1900’s guns have. One can claim a degree of affectation for the old guns, which maybe true, but I think it is much, much more than that.

Last edited by old colonel; 10/24/22 09:13 PM. Reason: Added more

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS