L., your post above is interesting and memory invoking...

alow me to remise and pontificate a bit...

-back in the mid-70's...while you were completing your MA, ?...i was workin in the suberbs of nyc, at a secure job, in order to provide for my family...

-at that time I was in my pump gun stage, specifically a 20 ga ithaca, with shortened barrel, don ja no...wonderful grouse gon hit was...prior to that, i had dallied with a 16 stevens, as that was awl i could afford at the time...eventually, i had the chokes cut off it, and then had rifle sites installed on the rib, making it into a slug gon for local deer hunting...that did not work out so well...

-as to your sauer, what wonderful gons they are...have had a few, with nary a problem nor complaint...surprised that after so many rounds of high base ammo, the stock did not crack...perhaps the chamber opening reduced the felt recoil, which helped protect the wood...

-and i am so happy that you and others have learned to not fire alotta high brass loads in old light weight guns...

as for chamber opening in general, the world loves to fill a vacuum...soon, 2 1/2" low base loads will return to us, eliminating the desire to alter chambers...eagerly awaiting that event...

Last edited by ed good; 09/22/22 11:04 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...