Raimey,

Yes, the Eskimos do live, to a large degree a subsistence lifestyle and harvest whatever salmon is in the river at the time, which is first the kings, then the reds, dogs and humpies with the last run being the silvers! There's also a lot of trading between the coastal Eskimos and those that live farther inland. Moose meat mainly from the inland natives for salmon berries and marine mammals, mainly seal meat, seal oil and some walrus from the coastal Eskimos, where there isn't much of any kind of big game i.e. moose, caribou, etc. They also hunt waterfowl in the spring when they migrate back after breakup and collect waterfowl eggs out on the tundra when the birds are nesting. Of course, things may have changed some from 30 years ago when I left the Y-K delta after 14 years there, but I doubt it's changed much!

About the only time I saw an Eskimo get prosecuted for shooting game was when some musk ox hitched a ride on some pack ice off Nunivak Island to the mainland. Some Eskimo was out running around on the tundra on his sno-go and came across the musk ox. He shot, if I remember correctly, 6 of the musk ox and left them there. He didn't get prosecuted for wanton waste of a game animal, but was prosecuted, again if I remember correctly, for shooting an animal that wasn't a traditional subsistence fish or game animal! He basically just got a slap on the wrist!

Cameron Hughes