Dan,

Interesting Model of 1922 you have. I am an avid 1922 collector and have several, including a Model of 1924 International Match that is 1 of 12 built for the US Rifle Team in 1924. It is also documented as 1 of the 8 that went to Paris for the 1924 Olympics. Four of these eight were used in the 50M off-hand event, but unfortunately, no documentation has surfaced identifying which four were shot in competition.

My interest in these rifles has lead me to doing a lot of internet data minding. One thing I have researched and collected is the where-about of the original 2020 Model of 1922's. Thus far I have collected info on about 130 rifles, including your rifle, SN 295. I found it on an icollector page when it was listed for auctioned by Little John's Auctions in November 2013. What catch my attention was the aluminum hooked butt-plate and double-set triggers, both features found on the 1924 IM rife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My initial thought was that it might have been a rare Outdoor Match rifle, but I do not believe that now. From your added photos it definitely appears to have been a Model 1922 customized for competition. I also wonder if the threaded barrel was for an early bloop-tube to extend the sight radius. I can see no logic to use a silencer on this type rifle, unless it spent time in England. Rifles used at indoor ranges in England were required to use silencers. I recently had a nice Mossberg Model 42M(b) that was a WW2 lend/lease rifle. It was eventually threaded by Parker Hale for that very reason.

You mentioned that you installed a Lyman 17 front sight. Did you notice the rear stud is installed slightly rearward of its original position. I can see that it now obscures part of the barrel markings. If the barrel was threaded to add an extension, the stud would have been removed to not block the extended front sight.

Thanks for sharing.

Art

Last edited by xtcshooter; 09/20/22 02:08 PM.