As the Reilly history continues to be edited, I'm leaning for an on-line publication, perhaps without a publishing house which means the 1000+ photos I've collected need to be vetted for copyright. Some of these photos are used in collages illustrating such things as changes in Reilly engraving or Damascus barrel patterns, some in dating the Reilly labels. And there are the UK newspaper ads and articles from the on-line UK archives.

I've written to Holts, Amoskeog, Rhode Island Auction asking whether their auction photos can be used in a book without permission or perhaps with blanket permission...if not I'll forward the specific sales brochure/item references to them which I've kept. But there are almost 40 auction house involved in this research, some of which do not respond to queries; some of which are no longer in business. Some of these are foreign gun-sales auction in Turkey, Sweden, German, Denmark, India, France, Italy, etc. This will take a lot of time. Some are from on-line gun sales sites such as Guns International, Gun Broker, Gun Trader, Gun Star, etc....and more often than not these on-line reference no longer are valid on those sites.

Do any of you have any experience in personally running down on-line photo copyrights? If I had a publisher, they would do this, and this might be a more appealing option. A couple of very prominent gun writers have made suggestions and are looking the text over. Many thanks for any advice.

Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 08/02/22 10:53 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch