After Drew Hause posted the data on the shell pressures and load information for Super X Foxes and cartridges, I got thinking about what I had to try to duplicate things. I also wanted to see about loading Bismuth shot and so I looked at the Hodgdon data. Looking at that data I saw they recommended using the WWAA12R wad for a 1&1/4 ounce load (SuperX). I got one of those out of the bag and tried to fill it with 1 &1/4 ounce, measured by volume, of #4 shot. It doesn't fit in, nor does 7&1/2, interesting to me. I don't yet have the Longshot powder required for that load so I moved to the Black Powder load. I found a Federal paper hull and poured in 80 grains of FF then seated an over powder wad(.08) and a cushion wad 3/8" thick and then dropped in 1&1/4 ounces of #4s. I put it on my MEC and it crimped perfectly. I was reading that because Black Powder ignites faster than smokeless that this load will have some pretty stout recoil? I'm not sure I want to test it.

I'm going to jump back to that WAA12R wad that is supposed to hold up to 1&3/8 ounces of shot. If 1&1/4 won't fit what is going on? I also have the Remington RP12 that is also in the Bismuth data and while I didn't try filling it, it appears capable of taking the 1&1/4 ounces of shot. I don't understand the WWAA12R? Also, if I'm correct, weight for weight Bismuth takes up more space than Lead. Any thoughts? Thank you.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]