My first deer rifle is (I still have it) a 1950’s Savage 1899EG in .250/3000.

I bought it as a south paw it because at the time there were no left-handed .243 rifles on the market in the UK.

Actually, thinking about it now, it was the second one I bought. The first, bought at auction, I had tapped for a scope but went back to grumble when the scope did not align with the barrel.The gunsmith discovered that the barrel had a “run off” to the side of a few degrees from the centre line of the action.Either the shoulder of the barrel or the action face had not been trued up.

The previous owner had fitted it with a Parker-Hale peep sight and probably never noticed.

Anyway that one went back to auction but I still wanted one and a friend found my present one for me in Yorkshire.

When it arrived something seemed strangely familiar about the serial number. Had I bought the first one back again?

I checked, it wasn’t but they were consecutive serial numbers!

It proved very accurate particularly with 86 or 87 grain bullets.

Lloyd, if it has a 1 in 14” twist you may find it is fussy about bullet length with 100 grain bullets. Semi pointed flat based Speer 100 grain bullets should shoot well but longer pointed boat tails might not stabilise.

Last edited by Parabola; 07/06/22 01:54 PM.