Certainly Eley are making wads out of corn starch that behave like plastic which they market as the Pro Eco Wad and I think Hull Cartridge Co. and Gamebore are going down the same route for use in steel shot ammo. The Eley ones can go quite quickly if wet and will be a slimy mess in 24 hour in water and being corn starch you can drop one in a glass of water and drink it if you are so minded without any ill effects. The cost is the same as far as I can see and I've used some of them. A lot of packaged item over here come packed in corn starch pieces that look and act like the old expanded polystyrene pieces. I check that it is, because it looks the same, then add it to the garden compost heap. We've never had a problem buying cartridges with card and felt wadding. Plastic wadding was mainly used for clay shooting on some grounds although some grounds only allow fibre wads and the clay cartridges come in both options to cater for this.

I've never known of cattle coming to harm with plastic wads. The things that do need banning are those blasted 'sky lanterns' that people light and set off with no regard as to where they might end up. There are a number of cases of them getting in hay meadows and being chopped up with the silage and the bits of wire frame getting into the cow's guts and piercing through. A very painful death!

I'm quite happy to shoot anything through my guns provided it does not harm them, kills game cleanly and doesn't cost the earth. Lead seems to be the best choice at the moment. I fully intend to use up my existing stock. Lagopus.....