I just received a nice quality shotgun shipped to me. When I unpacked it I immediately noticed rattling inside the barrels. The solder rolls the full length of the barrels when tipped back and forth.
The barrels ring sufficiently when tapped. It's not a dull thud.

The noise is obvious. I feel that I should have been made aware of the issue before the gun was sent to me instead of letting me find out when I got the gun. That is a major disappointment after looking forward to getting the gun then finding the issue on receipt. I got the gun from a well known dealer. It was a consignment gun he had taken in to sell.

So would you recommend returning the gun or negotiate a partial refund to compensate for the issue? If the latter, what amount of money would compensate for the barrel ghost? At some point the ribs may need to be re-layed would be the issue. What is the cost to have this done?

I could live with the ghost but if I ever decide to sell the gun the issue will be noticed and I could realize a lower price than I paid in negotiation with a new buyer. I could not sell the gun without stating this issue up front.

I was anticipating a really nice gun but my heart sank when I heard the noise.

Opinions?

Thanks.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.