Stan: Appreciate the confirmation on the chrome-lined bores in the Turkish guns (I knew that, but had somehow forgotten it). In the world I grew up in, guns needed to be over-oiled because of the terrible humidity we experienced nearly year-round there. The downside of all that was lots of wrecked stock heads in some doubles (and even some pumps & lever guns). I got into the habit of storing guns barrels down to keep the excess oils from running down into the stocks and still do it to this day. The care & feeding components of many older guns is more-stringent than a lot of the more-modern stuff and I have responded accordingly. In dry climates, it's a bit of a no-brainer (a bore-snake and a quick wipe-down are all they need), but in more-damp places I'd be watching far more carefully. In the end, the cleaning habits ingrained by strict fathers (and/or the millitary) is still a very good policy.

There seems to be an emotional component to all this as well, as I notice that I treat some guns w/more affection than others. It's a wonderful combination of the art/history (& the price tag). I clearly love some guns for their utility and others for their art. On a sliding scale, all my firearms seem to fall somewhere on that pantheon.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/26/22 10:57 AM.