Originally Posted by FlyChamps
Originally Posted by Der Ami
For a while, dealers were allowed to cite a valid "carry permit" as proof of background check. Mike

It depends on the state issuing the "carry permit" plus the "carry permit" will only replace the NICS background check in the state of issuance. Your location shows Alabama and Alabama permits are not a qualifying permit and out-of-state permits (even if qualifying in their state of issue) cannot replace a NICS background check.

BATF Permit Chart

I live in KY and the laws are pretty pro-Carry here, with the legislature trying for even more liberal rules on open carry. This is considered more controversial here than CDW due to the "freak-out" potential. As I understand KY's position, they went to accepting a CDW as background when they adopted a system of automated monthly checks of their permit holders.

I am surprised that we don't have more permit holders here than we do. According to state records we have over 500,000 permits for a total population of 3.5MM. A lot of people seem to have dropped them or simply carry without a permit, which is legal if concealed and not visible. I keep mine due to travel and purchsae ease. One thing of note is that KY has a Concealed Carry Deadly weapon permit, not CCW, and allows carry of an entire range of defined items:

(4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:

(a) A weapon of mass destruction;
(b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or
other serious physical injury, may be discharged;
(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
(e) Blackjack or slapjack;
(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
(g) Shuriken or death star; or
(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material

I suspect these would cause heartburn in a lot of concealed carry states, so I would hesitate to carry these into other states. It does however make it possible to buy such items as automatic knives (switchblades) extensable police batons etc in authorized dealerships catering to law enforcement.

Last edited by AGS; 04/13/22 10:30 AM.