I can't say that I can recall any problems wearing a uniform as late as mid-68. We'd routinely stop at a cafe and grab a bite to eat after drill, wearing our uniforms. That was in my hometown of Waterloo, IA. Pretty much a blue collar city.

But serving in an Army Reserve unit in Iowa City starting in early 1974, it was a very different situation. College town. If we went out after drill on Saturday night, the only place we felt welcome if we didn't change into civvies was the American Legion. That was a Military Intelligence unit, and one of the reasons we were located in Iowa City--in those pre-Internet days--was so that we could use the university library to do open source research. We never went there in uniform.

Much later on, we were ordered not to fly in uniform. That was when Black September and other Arab terrorist organizations were hijacking planes. And in some cases, killing American military personnel. Anything that connected us to the military--ID card, dog tags, etc--went into the check baggage.

Funny thing about the hijacking. Reserve personnel on active duty for short periods of time have a start and end date on their orders. One poor guy was on a hijacked flight. Lucky enough to avoid being killed. However, the passengers were not released by the terrorists until after the individual's orders had ended. Which meant he didn't get paid for those days. The military immediately changed their policy so that orders were automatically extended until you were released if you were "detained" by hijackers. Seemed to be the fair thing to do.