Originally Posted by Tim Cartmell
Okay, just to get things straight here, the W&S 400 in the Morphy's Auction is a Grade 1 Morphy's Auction example, the Hallowell's W&S 400 is a Grade 2 Hallowell's example? and Joe Wood's W&S 400 Properitory model is a Grade 3 Joe Wood's Proprietary example? Is this correct?

Also in Joe Wood's Proprietary model, it looks to me like the hinge pin has a screw? Does this mean the hinge pin is replaceable in the Proprietary grade?

Thanks.

So I managed to track down the Webley & Scott 1922 catalogue. The Webley & Scott, 400 Series, Grade 1, is fully engraved, includes deeply carved oak leaf design on the fences, has spaniels ears on the forend, and drop points on the stock (as per Morphy's Auction). The Grade 2 is still fully engraved but without the deep relief engraving on the fences, and has drop points on the stock Webley & Scott, Series 400, Grade 2. The Grade 3 has the minimal border engraving, and no drop points on the stock. So it appears the Hallowell pictured Webley & Scott 400 series would actually be a Grade 3.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Webley & Scott, 400 Series, Grade 3 taken from a circa 1930/1940 advertisement.

Last edited by Tim Cartmell; 01/19/23 05:20 PM. Reason: change acanthus scroll engraving to oak leaf engraving on fences, as per LeFusil's comment below