KUTTER -- thank you for the detailed procedure. i have a place i can buy steel shim stock and may use it instead of feeler gauge pieces. the feeler gauges appeals to be because it is in .001 thousands increments. shim stock would probably be a better grade of steel. have posed this question on other discussion boards and must say your is the most useful information to date. had one response that he was using aluminum foil tape for air conditioning duct work. he said he would get about 200 rounds before the tape "tired out". think i will measure my paper shims thickness and shoot a round or 2 of skeet and measure again and see how much the paper has compressed. i know in the "old days" paper was used to line rod and main engine bearings -- under the bearing -- to allow the use of good bearings where the crankshaft was worn and allow the bearings to be fit between the .010 increments bearings are available in. have shimmed tractor engine bearings myself and it worked good enough. big difference is the pounding the paper shims endure when used to shim up the barrels pin.

Last edited by 1574trap; 03/14/22 02:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling