Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I own a single gun, a lowly Spanish boxlock, that is equipped with disc set strikers. When I got the gun, it didn’t have the tool to remove them, or a set of spare strikers. Cole Haugh did some service work to the gun, and supplied strikers and the tool. The discs are a piece of cake to remove from the gun. I can change both strikers out, and have the gun running again in 10 minutes, sitting in the cab of the truck, in the dark. I have pulled both discs out, and can’t understand why any maker would fit them so poorly you destroyed them taking them out. I have witnessed, in an old English boxlock, a case of the tumbler coming to rest on the protruding edge of a disc, that resulted in the edge of the disc getting beat over the threads in the face of the breech. This was just sloppy design, poor workmanship, or, both. I don’t expect it is typical. Maybe I’m wrong, and that is typical, but, when the idea is properly executed, it is a good one. If I had to fight that hard to get them out, I’d be pissed. No reason for that. Complaining that you have to have a tool and spare strikers to put the idea to use is like complaining you have to have keys to start a truck. Get real.
98% of English boxlocks might have integral strikers, but, 100% of them are single shots when one breaks. Most of those English boxlocks have a couple lifetimes of use on them, by now, and, some are going to break. Seen that movie, along with the single trigger movie. You guys can watch it.
Listening to a gunsmith tell me how much he would prefer to fix integral strikers is a funny joke when I can fix my own disc set strikers in a minute, without his help or cost, thank you very much.
Carry on.

Best,
Ted

Funny indeed. I'm sure the new strikers and tool to remove them them were free? Something you could do yourself?

I could have built the tool and the strikers myself. Would have had to pester a friend for the use of his lathe. But, Cole had them on the shelf, and, they were reasonable. I might feel differently if the discs in the gun were poorly fitted enough to make it challenging to get them out, but, that isn’t the case.

Best,
Ted