I have done the same- have 2 grandsons, the oldest is 17, will graduate HS 2023 and plans to attend MIT-He shot his first deer with his Dad and me this past Nov. lots of woodchucks and squirrel too-and went out with me for waterfowl as well- He's a safe gun handler, and will end up with his choice of my pre-1950 Winchesters, Colts and S&W pistols- a bit like Corey Ford's letter to a grandson I suppose- MIT is top choice for a physics major, but he won't be be home on Fall week-ends to go hunting with Grandpa very often. Fortunately, he is right handed, as I am, and his Dad is a Southpaw, so we are A-OK in that area. My younger grandson is 11-is a baseball all-star, and as his Mother, my youngest daughter, is an anti-gun, anti-hunting Biden and Obama lover, he will never even do any target shooting with any of my .22's (Winchesters)-- Damn shame, but one of the cannons of the ethics of grandparenthood is to stay the hell out of your children's family life and beliefs- his Dad is a good guy, works hard in his Yuppie careers, and loves golf-and also fishing- just not fly fishing as I do. So, to be as fair as one can be in a basically unfair world that is "chiefed by the double tongued", he will inherit my "working" collection of Winston, Leonard and Goodwin Granger cane rods, and my assortment of Hardy and Bogdan fly reels- Plus a few Heddon and Garcia fiberglas rods and spin reels, and misc lures and tackle boxes. Not quite the same dilema as the Hebrew king and the "baby splitting" decision, but I'll do my best. Son-in-law that shoots with gets the remaining Colts and S&W---RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..