Originally Posted by Bluestem
Originally Posted by AGS
He appeared in the Sand Pebbles 2 years before Bullit, and as I remember they used several Model 97's in that movie.

McQueen may have been just an actor, but he could drive a car (did all his own work in Bullit and one of the two Fords was his own full race Trans Am car, the other a hopped up 3900. His motorcycle skills were legendery. He was deeply admired by the best trials rider in the world for his skill and determination and went full blown all out in SoCal and Mexican races almost every weekend. I always though he ended up what James Dean wanted to be.

McQueen did some of the driving in Bullitt, but the more demanding driving was done by Bud Ekins (who also performed the Great Escape motorcycle jump) and Loren Janes. Carey Loftin also drove. The Charger was driven by Bill Hickman. Two heavily modified 390 GT cars were used, but they were not "full race Trans Am" cars. In fact, fastback Mustangs were not legal in Trans Am for the '67 and '68 seasons and notchback Mustangs were campaigned. Mustang fastbacks were legal for Trans Am again in 1969 with the Boss 302 cars. McQueen did not race in the Trans Am series. McQueen never owned either of the Bullitt Mustangs. The first was thrashed so badly in the movie that it was believed to have been scrapped. However, it was recently found in Mexico and is currently being restored. The second Bullitt Mustang was eventually owned by the Kiernan family for decades. McQueen had tried to buy the car from them, but the family declined and used it as a family car for years until selling it in 2020 for $3.7 million.

II intended to say full Trans Am spec Mustang. The rest you may be correct about, but car and Driver did an interview article in the late 60's which I kept for years and reread many times. McQueen referred to the 302 car "his car" and talked about the timing and details of the filming. I do remember that Ekins was the driver that laid the bike down, and McQueen said it scared hime so badly that he lost control of the car and went off the road in a big slide. This segment eas left in the film.