Originally Posted by ellenbr
SKB:

Most interesting info on the Germans being the early source for glass.

bushveld:

Great info too and in the rechamber effort, if indeed the case, why did they not replace the front sight then or was the glass the stop-gap solution and they assumed that the sights would be a non-factor from that point on out?

Serbus,

Raimey

rse

Raimey;

It is almost certain that Holland would have had to make a new front barrel brace when they re-regulated this double rife to the .375 Flgd Mag as one would expect the barrels to need to be spread apart for proper grouping. I must qualify what I writing here as I am assuming that this subject DR was built back then with the muzzle brace that Holland still uses today. I use the Holland brace it in building double rifles as it never allows the barrels to come apart, however it takes many more hours to build and regulate the barrels and most double rifle makers do not use it. In regard to your interest in German rifle, I suspect that Hartmann & Weiss use the Holland style muzzle brace. There is an excellent one hour long video (now 15 years old) titled "A Look Inside Holland & Holland" which shows in detail Steve Cranson (now retired) regulating a double rifle and how he de-solders, moves the barrels and re-solders using the Holland muzzle brace.

I see that you have your e-mail address listed in your profile and I will send you some photos of how the Holland brace is made and looks both during regulation and final.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell