Originally Posted by Argo44
-- Crown over PJ - semi-smokeless (1896)?
-- Yet chambered in mm?

I'm wondering if this gun is 1885-1889?
..or, if Manufrance ignored the changeover to c.m. in 1889?
..or, if the gun were reproofed in 1896?
..or, if PJ was used earlier?
..or. with the "6" and "5" that far apart, maybe the decimal didn't print?

The 32 bore looks vaguely similar to this gun (I didn't keep all the photos unfortunately):

3). 1885-1889 Manufance under lever hammer gun; 75mm chambers; 17.4 (14 gauge). Manufance was founded in 1885; the chamber is in mm thus 1889 or earlier.
http://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusil-juxtapose-...em-3799057.html
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

- - - - -Discussion of PJ semi-smokeless powder - - - - - - -

(Per Larry: "Engelhardt's original article shows the PM proofmark and says: "For barrels proved with smokeless R and M powders, adopted May 14, 1898. But it does not show a PR proofmark. He also shows only the PJ proofmark when referring to both J and S powders, which were adopted together on March 30, 1896.").

And: (But interesting in going back to Journee--which I don't do as often as I should--I found that there are 4 different varieties of J. In addition to just plain old J (or J-0--I can't do the sub-numbers), there are also J1, 2, and 3. According to Journee's chart, while they all have the same % of nitrocellulose, they differ in the number of grains per gram. T has the highest % of nitrocellulose: 98%, compared to 83% for the J's, 71% for M, and 65% for S.)

[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

Salut Argo,

Le poinçon F couronné nous indique que le fusil a été éprouvé à la poudre noire après 1896.

Je n'ai toujours pas eu de retour du Banc d'épreuve de Saint-Etienne. Je vais faire une relance, mais je n'ai pas beaucoup l'espoir d'avoir une réponse.