For Gene:

https://ibb.co/1srDT3S

When a Darne is marked with either the SPC or SPL prefix in the serial number, there really isn’t an accurate way to date the manufacture of the gun using the serial number. SPC indicated special order short barrels, and SPL indicated special order long barrels. As special orders, they were numbered out of sequence.

But, there are other clues. James Wayne dutifully stamped his importer information into the tubes, telling us 1970s, I’ve looked at a lot of Darne guns, and can’t recall seeing an SPL serial number. In the era James Wayne was in the game, many were the writers who pontificated that 26” tubes were exactly what a bloke wanted, regardless of whether he shot a pump, an auto, or a double of some sort. I’d bet most of what James Wayne sold was inventory, and few guns were ordered to measure. My previous 20 gauge R15, left the factory with a set of 29” tubes. I am a poorer man for not realizing exactly what I had, when I had it. I shot that little gun well.

The thermometer is indicating -1 F, at the moment, and I won’t pattern it, today. But, I will, eventually.

Larry, those guns have been for sale for a long time. They look odd, with all that drop, and beaver tail front wood.

I couldn’t shoot them, not well, anyway.

Best,
Ted