Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I've never been to Europe much less hunted there, but from pictures I've seen those guys use their slings to shoulder their guns with the barrels pointing down at each other's feet instead of safely pointed up in the air. I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right to me and people look at me as if I were nuts...Geo

p.s.: Ok, I'll admit that may not be the only reason they're looking at me that way.

George, in our country when a shooter is using a sling and the barrel is pointing up I politely ask him to point it down. I don't like to be following him in the brush and have the muzzle swinging past my face every few steps! Besides, if a quick shot is needed its much faster to mount a gun that is pointed down than up, IMO.

Joe, I respect your opinion and I know you are a long time bird hunter. I am too. The European carry I'm referring to is barrels down with strap over the shoulder. I'd agree that a sans strap hands on gun down carry is safer than a sloppy port arms when no strap is present. When I carry the gun barrel down with the strap over my shoulder I have to dedicate my right hand to holding the barrels. What matters in any case is where the business end is pointing at all times. JMHO... Geo