Originally Posted by DoubleTake
There are lots of published loads that are simply bad recipes. Many couple undersized wads with large capacity hulls. For example the Remington and old Winchester compression formed hulls work best with wads with a smaller diameter (Remington, Winchester/Claybuster). The larger capacity hulls like Federal, Cheddite/Herter's, Fiocchi, and non-compression formed Winchesters (which are Cheddite hulls) work best with larger diameter wads like the Gualandi/SG16, Z16 (B&P), and Cheddite wads.

When Cabela's first started selling the Herters (Cheddite) shells at very reasonable prices (real bargains when they were on sale!), I initially tried the Claybuster wads. As suggested here, they didn't work for 7/8 oz loads. The DR-16's work really well. Got my hands on a bunch of the black Rem Game Load hulls. The 7/8 oz Claybusters work very well in those. And as far as 16ga 7/8 oz wads go, the Claybusters are about the easiest ones to find, and the least expensive. I looked through old loading data using the Win WAA 1 oz wad in the Rem hulls. The Claybuster is essentially a clone of the Win 1 oz wad, with that little bump in the bottom of the cup to reduce space for lighter loads so no filler is required. Works like a charm. If only those Rems didn't have such brittle case mouths . . .